Used in the aerospace, automotive, power generation and oil and gas industries, Curtiss-Wright’s thermal spray coating services include HVOF (High Velocity Oxy-Fuel), plasma, flame and arc spray coatings which produce a cost effective and high performing finish that protects components from heat, wear, corrosion, fatigue and oxidation. HVOF (High Velocity Oxy-Fuel) Coatings are a viable alternative for hard chrome plating.
Damaged and worn parts such as gas and steam turbines can be repaired to original specification.
Benefits of thermal spray coatings
There are a number of benefits in using thermal spray technology over more traditional coating methods and these include:
- Versatility in the choice of coatings – options include metals, alloys, ceramics and carbides among others.
- Protection against wear, corrosion, fatigue, oxidation and high temperatures depending on the coating used in the process.
- Accurately controlled temperature of the bulk substrate to 150°C or less avoiding any detrimental effects of heat on the material properties.
- Coating thickness easily controlled, meaning the process can even be used to restore the dimensions of a worn part or incorrectly machined component.
- Complex shapes can be coated as the robotic parts allow for uniform coating of multifaceted parts.
- Excellent bond strength which can withstand extreme mechanical loads and severe wear situations.
Powder particles (typically 1 to 50 microns) are heated to a molten or semi-molten state and are propelled at high velocity, using kinetic energy formed from a gas stream, onto the surface and forms a splat.
This splat then contracts as it cools forming a bond with the surface.
Each splat deposited builds up in layers to the required thickness and density.
Watch our Video showing the Thermal Spray process.
Applications for thermal spray coatings
- Gas Turbine Engines
- Intake section (cold)
- Compression section (cold)
- Combustion section (hot)
- Exhaust (hot)
- Intake snouts
- Compressor blades and vanes
- Combustion flame tubes
- Honeycomb seals
- Power turbine discs
- Rings and seals